ISO 41001 Facility Management System (FMS)
ISO 41001 Facility Management System (FMS) is the world’s first international FMS standard published by the ISO in 2018, Facility management is an organizational function, that blends with people, place, and process to improve the productivity of the core business and the quality of life for the given built environment.
- Built environment- includes the collection of all the infrastructure, buildings, and external works in an area. Such as walkaways, fences, mechanical & electrical installations, facilities, and more.
- Quality of life- the process of increasing the safety standards and better health conditions for the people working in the built environment.
- Productivity of the Core business- works on improving the services of the society such as medical, educational, hotel, condo services, shopping malls, commercial business services, hospitality, and more.
Why ISO 41001:2018 Facility Management System?
ISO 41001 sets the benchmark to develop and drive strategic, effective, tactical, and operational practices in Facility Management
- Direct protection of physical Facilities by Quality Maintenance services
- Ensure good work order of facilities/property to serve clients/customers
- Avoid facility failure which can cause property damage and loss of lives
- Extend the life of physical facilities by reducing downtime of facility function
- Operation performance of facility concerning ‘service failure’, ‘risk of failure’
- Deliver FM services according to legality/contract terms (SLA, KPIs, Risk Management)
- Reduce failure rate to ensure quality FM services
- Ensure continued improvement and conformity
- Support service providers and service delivery staff
The ISO 41001:2018 FMS is further bifurcated into; Hard Facility Management and Soft Facility Management for smooth and easy administration throughout the year.
Hard facilities management – it covers the entire space and infrastructure, more of the physical part of the organization, such as heating, lighting, plumbing, fire safety systems, air conditioning, electro-mechanical maintenance, preventive building maintenance, and more. Hard Facility Management is a permanent type as the content can’t be removed but can be updated.
Soft facilities management– it includes the people and the organization, more related to work and occupational physiology such as building security, cleaning, aesthetics, mail management, catering, office aesthetics, and more. Soft facilities management is of a temporary kind, it can be removed easily and can be changed from time to time.
SIERRA ODC Private Limited, Coimbatore is now one of the first software companies globally to be awarded ISO 41001:2018 Certification The World’s First International Standard for Facility Management System (FMS)
The process becomes incredibly easy for the customers using eFACiLiTY® to get ISO 41001:2018 (FMS) certification. Especially in the post-pandemic scenario, which calls for a safe & healthy environment for their employees returning to work in this new normal hybrid environment.
SIERRA has achieved this international standard by fully implementing all the requirements using its flagship product eFACiLiTY®, also an efficient automation tool, that helped automate our entire Facility Management operations. By using eFACiLiTY® all the following activities of FMS are Governed, Maintained, Analysed & Reported to comply with the requirements of ISO Standards Facility Management Software.
Facility Management Services in a built environment
- Air-conditioning & ventilation system
- Fire safety and protection system
- Plumbing, pipes, and sewage
- Walls, Floors, Doors, Ceiling, pantry, and restrooms
- Water supply system, storage & distribution
- Security, CCTV, patrolling, etc.
- Concierge services
- Furniture, Office Equipment, Fixtures & Fittings
- Electrical supply system & equipment, Standby Genset
- Garden Maintenance and Landscaping
- Lifts, stairs, escalators & walkway
- Parking bay management etc.
FMS – General requirements
- Warranties and concession periods
- Contractor’s responsibilities and maintenance services
- Subcontracting & ownership
- Obtaining supplies & services and asset handling
- Occupational safety & health requirements
- Costs & expenses, payments, and reimbursements
- Penalty, liability, and insurance
- Termination and extension